Annual Orientation & Compliance
Staying in Compliance
To be in total compliance all Recognized Student Organizations (RSOs) must do the following:
- Complete the Re-Registration Process on NvolveU.
- President, Treasurer and Primary Programmer must attend an Annual Orientation session.
- Complete a Federal Tax Identification Number (FTIN). RSOs with annual receipts over $5,000 must obtain a FTIN.
For more information on staying in compliance, view this resource. [.pdf]
Attend Annual Orientation
RSOs are required to attend an Annual Orientation session. RSOs will participate in 1-of-3 registration periods:
- FALL | mid-August to mid-September
- WINTER | December to January
- SPRING | April to mid-May
During a registration period, each RSO will send the newly elected President, Treasurer, and Primary Programmer to an Annual Orientation session.
There are multiple options to complete your Annual Orientation:
Live Sessions Virtual On-Demand
Please note, you do not have to attend an Annual Orientation with the other required leaders in your RSO. Choose the date/time that works best for you. All three members must attend one of the sessions for your RSO to maintain total compliance status.
Event Planning & Registration (EPR) Form
RSOs must submit an Event Planning & Registration form (EPR) on NvolveU to host an event. Some important things to keep in mind:
- EPRs should be submitted as soon as you know the foundational details of your event. The earlier the better.
- All indoor events will require all approvals to be granted at least three (3) business days before your event starts.
- Outdoor events will require all approvals to be granted at least ten (10) business days before your event starts.
- The submitter is responsible to answer reviewer questions and keep up with reviewer requests. If questions or requests are not answered, the Student Leadership, Involvement & Community Engagement team reserves the right to deny your EPR.
Event Planning Resources
- EPR Frequently Asked Questions [.pdf]
- How to Submit an EPR using NvolveU [.pdf]
- Program Planning Tool [.pdf]
- Event Budget Tool [.xls]
- Using the NvolveU Event Check In App [video]
- Taking attendance at virtual events [video]
When a Contract is Necessary
An RSO needs a contract in any of the following circumstances. RSO members, officers and advisors are not permitted to sign any contracts or agreements for an RSO.
- Utilizing artists, guest speakers, or performers (paid or unpaid)
- Facility rental (certain on campus and all off campus facilities)
- Exchange of money for a service – photographer, DJ, equipment rental, event judges, etc.
Requesting a Contract
Contract requests must be submitted at least four (4) weeks in advance.
To request a contract for your RSO, complete the following steps.
- Submit your EPR on NvolveU as soon as you know the foundational details.
- Student Leadership, Involvement & Community Engagement will provide a deadline for contract requests. Adhering to this deadline will ensure your event continues in the approval process.
- Complete the Contract Request Worksheet at least four (4) weeks in advance of your event.
- Respond to any questions from SLICE on your EPR.
- You will receive a copy via DocuSign once all parties have signed.
- Once all parties have signed, submit a Payment Request using the SOFS Payment Request System. Your RSO is responsible for submitting this request.
- Contract FAQs [.pdf]
- Contract Contract Guide [.pdf]
Chapters affiliated with Fraternity & Sorority Life - which do not utilize SOFS services - should consult their Corporation Boards regarding contracts and authorization to sign on behalf their Chapters. Chapters that do utilize SOFS will be required to work with SLICE for contracting needs.
Student Organization Financial Services (SOFS)
- SOFS website
- Payment Request site
- Payment Request help [video]
- Payment Request manual [.pdf]
- Payment quick guide [.pdf]
- Annual Budget form [.xls]
Marketing & Communications
Services from Student Affairs Marketing & Communication
Student Affairs Marketing and Communications can help your RSO develop marketing materials. Whether you’re promoting your next event or building awareness to grow membership in your organization, the experienced design and marketing staff can help. Design set-up fee is $20.00 plus tax (this includes ANY services as long as it is the same design). SAMC is not responsible for printing the project, your RSO can use any printing services they choose. Some options are linked below.
Newsletters & Social Media
- Spread the word about your RSO events and activities by creating a News Article and submitting it to various University newsletters. Popular newsletters include RSO Newsletter, Next@Nebraska and Nebraska Today.
- Reach a larger audience with your RSO social media posts by tagging Student Leadership, Involvement, and Community Engagement’s social media accounts on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
Poster Routes & Digital Signage
Student Leadership, Involvement & Community Engagement will distribute your RSO informational and RSO event posters to academic buildings on City and East Campus on your behalf. To have posters distributed, bring 16 posters for City Campus, 17 for East Campus, or a total of 33 posters for both campuses to the Student Leadership, Involvement, & Community Engagement office in the Nebraska City Campus Union, Room 200 by 5 p.m. the Tuesday the week before you would like the posters to be hung up. Locations on the SLICE poster routes.
The poster route through SLICE will ONLY be distributing posters for active RSOs; frozen RSOs will not be able to utilize the poster route. SLICE will no longer be distributing posters that advertise academic classes or community activities, events, or information unless it directly relates to the RSO, but this relationship must be mentioned on the poster. Posters related to campus departments are still allowed as long as the poster information is student-focused.
- Residence Life will accept posters and flyers advertising a specific program, service, or event open to all students. As an UNL affiliate, your RSO may provide flyers to be distributed to the residence hall communities. RSOs can also request their messages be shared on the Housing digital signs. Submissions requests for housing digital signage can be made here, at least seven (7) business days before the start date.
- The Nebraska Unions have digital signs for RSOs to display recruitment notices, announcements of new clubs, and campus-wide events. Digital signage requests should be made at least two (2) weeks before you would like it to appear.
RSOs may schedule chalking through an Event Planning Registration (EPR) to reserve space. View chalking policy.
RHA Movie Channel
Advertise your RSO or RSO events on the RHA Movie Channel by submitting a 60-second or less commercial.
Complete the following steps to have your RSO commercial ready to show:
- Complete the video.
- Upload the video to YouTube.
- Email Jacob Sherry email@example.com the following information:
- Name of organization and reason for advertisement (i.e. Event Name or Recruitment)
- URL link to commercial on YouTube
- Time period you want the commercial to run. Commercials may only run for 1 week.
University Event Calendar
Maximize your reach with the UNL Events Calendar. After your EPR is approved, create a new event and make it public. Now your event can be seen by anyone and other University calendars to share your events on their calendar.
- Lock-up request
- University Brand Guide | how to use the UNL Marks and Brand Standards.
- Licensing Information for Student Organizations
- Templates and Assets | presentation templates, video templates, etc. your RSO can utilize.
- Pixel Lab | a great on-campus location for printing items like posters, banners, and handouts.
- Print, Copy, Mail & Distribution Services | printed materials, promotional items, etc.
- Information Services | create a UNL Email address for your RSO.
Free Pepsi for Student Organizations
Pepsi donates a limited amount of free Pepsi products to the University for distribution by Student Leadership, Involvement & Community Engagement. Each year, a certain amount is allocated for use by Recognized Student Organizations (RSOs). RSOs may apply for free Pepsi products for an event they are sponsoring by filling out an application form. When Pepsi products are available, this form will be listed on NvolveU Forms. RSOs must also have an EPR for the event. The EPR and application are due at least ten (10) business days prior to your event. Late requests cannot be fulfilled.
Your RSO must meet the following criteria to receive Pepsi products at the event:
- Event must be held on campus.
- Event must be campus-wide and open to all students. No general meetings will be eligible for free Pepsi products.
- Event must be free for University of Nebraska-Lincoln students only. Faculty and staff events are not eligible to receive Pepsi products.
- Allocated beverages may NOT be sold or used to generate profit in any way, except Philanthropies (*see below).
- Your RSO must have started an Event Planning & Registration (EPR) form in NvolveU for your event.
* Philanthropies:SLICE has allotted $500 of free Pepsi products for philanthropies sponsored by RSOs to raise money for nonprofit organizations. At philanthropic events, Pepsi products cannot be sold separately but can be given as part of a meal that is being sold or given as part of the admission fee to the event.
All applications are subject to review by the Pepsi Coordinator for Student Leadership, Involvement & Community Engagement. Only completed applications submitted by the appropriate deadline will be considered. Submitting a request does not guarantee that the RSO will receive free Pepsi products. To be eligible for free Pepsi products, the RSO must be in total compliance with ASUN bylaws and Student Leadership, Involvement & Community Engagement guidelines. If you are not sure if your RSO is in total compliance, reach out to Student Leadership, Involvement & Community Engagement at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Risk & Insurance
- RSO events and activities are not covered by University liability insurance. For details on insurance, visit this website.
- Group Waiver template [.doc]
- Individual Waiver template [.doc]
Travel & Transportation
- RSOs that travel for RSO or University business must complete an EPR on NvolveU to travel.
- Travel insurance is required for RSO travel and is included on the EPR.
- RSOs can rent vehicles from Transportation Services.
- Creating effective agendas [.pdf]
- Taking great minutes [.pdf]
- Effective meetings [.pdf]
- Conflict management [.pdf]
- Officer transistion packet [.pdf]
Teambuilding & Workshops
- Conflict Management workshop [video]
- Team & Group Development workshop [video]
- Elevator Pitch workshop [video]
- Effective Meeting Management workshop [video]
- Teambuilding workshop [video]
- Teambuilding in a Virtual Environment [.pdf]
- NvolveU Support
- Using the News tool [video]
- Using the Messaging tool [video]
- Using the Election tool [video]
- Adding new members to your RSO [video]
- Event check-in app [video]
- First-time user checklist [.pdf]