Student Organizations: Resources and Tools
Resources for Students
- Learn how to plan a budget, receive an excused absence from a class and more
- Free Pepsi for your organization
- Meet other students and learn about organizations at the RSO Fair
- Create a website, email address and learn how to use Blackboard for your organization
- Search for a Recognized Student Organization
- Start your own Recognized Student Organization
- Get help with event planning
- Get your organization its own office space
- Promote your event with the help of the Creation Station
- Request funds for your organization
- Find out how to properly use UNL logos
- Read the RSO Newsletter
- Read or sign up to a email list
Event Budget Tool
This worksheet helps student organizations plan for some of the financial obligations which accompany large events. Events may have additional costs which are not covered by this tool, but this worksheet is a good starting point for organizations that are planning large activities.
Annual Budget Tool
This worksheet helps student organizations prepare annual budgets. Organizations may encounter additional expenses and income which are not included in this tool. This worksheet, however, does give students the opportunity to consider some of the factors which affect the finances of their respective organizations.
SOAR Sheetsprovide useful tips and tricks that you can use with your organization.
If you would like to view past/archived newsletters, please click "here"
Student Absence Form
Occasionally a Recognized Student Organization (RSO) will have activities that conflict with academic class requirements. When this occurs, students may wish to have an excused absence from his or her faculty or staff member. Students should notify their faculty or staff member as soon as possible prior to their absence. Please note that faculty or staff members may or may not grant the excused request, as it is at the personal discretion of each faculty or staff member.
This form is strictly optional, however highly recommended for student organization members and their advisors. It is provided only as a means of assisting faculty and students in keeping records of agreements made if a student needs to miss scheduled classes. This form must be accompanied by a letter from the student organizations primary advisor who is a UNL faculty or staff member.
RSO Fund Request
When your Recognized Student Organization (RSO) plans an event or wants to attend a conference, but needs additional funding, there are on campus funding sources available. Various departments or groups on campus set aside money to support RSO activities. These monies are a part of the following funds:
- Council of Student Affairs Directors (CSAD) Diversity Conference Attendance Fund
- Council of Student Affairs Directors (CSAD) Diversity Program Fund
- Pepsi Diversity Program Fund
- Pepsi Student Events Fund
- University Program Council (UPC) Fund Allocation Committee
In addition, individual colleges and academic departments may have funds available for RSOs.
If you need help at any time, please stop by Student Involvement's city office (200 Nebraska Union) to speak with one of our SOAR staff members. There may be additional forms that you will need to secure for liability insurance, travel insurance, contracts, co-sponsorships, etc. depending on your event. The staff will inform you if and when you will need these documents.
The application process, guidelines, deadlines and requirements may be slightly different for each fund. The forms, guidelines and deadlines can all be found online. In order to find out which fund best suits your RSO’s needs, read more about each of them at the Office of the Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs web site and the University Program Council web site. Additionally, you may want to learn more about requesting funds from colleges and academic departments.