Trans* Guide

This site offers transgender and gender non-conforming students a compository of resources and advice to help ensure that all students of all gender identities and expression have a productive and enjoyable experience at UNL.



Sex refers to the biological, chromosomal and anatomical features associated with maleness and femaleness in the human body. Gender, on the other hand, refers to social construction of masculinity and femininity in a specific culture. It involves gender assignment (the gender designation of someone at birth), gender roles (the expectations imposed on someone based on their gender), gender attribution (how others perceive someone’s gender) and gender identity (how someone defines their own gender).


Transgender is an umbrella term covering behaviors, expressions and identities that challenge the binary male/female gender system in a given culture. It is a self-identified term that can apply to anyone who transcends the conventional definitions of “man” and “woman” and whose self-identification or expression challenges traditional notions of “male” and “female” (including transsexuals, crossdressers, drag queens and kings, genderqueers, masculine-identified females, feminine-identified males, two-spirit people, male-to-females, female-to-males, bearded women, transmen, transwomen and others who cross or transgress traditional gender categories).


Intersex refers to a person who is born with sex chromosomes, external genitalia or an internal reproductive system that is not considered “standard” for either male or female. Approximately 1.7% of children are born with mixed sexual anatomy that makes it difficult to label them male or female. “Intersex” is the preferred term to hermaphrodite. Although many intersex people do not identify as transgender, many of the workplace issues relating to transgender people overlap with those that affect intersex people.


An ally is pro-LGBTQ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and questioning) and is actively committed to diversity and inclusion, mutual respect and personal safety for all people of all sexual orientations, gender identities and expression. An ally is someone who confronts heterosexism, homophobia, biphobia, transphobia, heterosexual and genderstraight privilege in themselves and others and has a concern for the well being of transgender, intersex, queer and other LGBQ (lesbian, gay, bisexual and questioning) people and a belief that transphobia, heterosexism, homophobia and biphobia are social justice issues.


For information on the transgender and intersex communities at UNL, check out the TransGuide, a handbook for transgender and intersex students at UNL. ALso see the Trans 101 and Trans 202 Guide for more information. For more definitions and other resources, please see the GenderQueer Coalition.

Definitions are based on the terms defined by the GenderQueer Coalition.

Gender Neutral Bathrooms

Many buildings at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln have gender-neutral restrooms. Below is a list of public gender-neutral/unisex bathrooms available on the UNL campus.

City Campus
Andersen Hall
Andrews Hall
Beadle Center
Campus Rec
Canfield Administration Building
Ferguson Hall
Jackie Gaughan Multicultural Center
Kauffman Academic Residential Center
Love Library
Mabel Lee Hall
Morrill Hall
Nebraska Union
Raymond - Neihardt Residential Center
Scott Engineering Center
Seaton Hall
University Housing Office
Room #
133, 138
Gender Neutral Changing Facility for Members
First Floor
15.1, 15.2
208C, 208D
18, 218, 312
East Campus
Family Resource Center
Food Industry Building
Barkley Memorial Center
Splinter Labs
Room #

All of the gender-neutral/unisex bathrooms listed above are one-room or one-stall facilities with locks that can be used as changing facilities.

Locker Rooms and Changing Facilities

All of the gender-neutral/unisex bathrooms listed above are one-room or one-stall facilities with locks that can be used as changing facilities.

UNL's Campus Recreation Center now features one family/gender-neutral changing room with toilets and showers, on the north side of the building. Visiting teams are able to reserve this room, so sometimes it may not be available, usually on Thursdays and Fridays. Please note that the Campus Recreation Center swimming pool and spas can only be accessed through gendered locker rooms, which have lockable bathroom stalls.

Student Housing

Gender-Inclusive Housing

Beginning in Fall 2015, UNL will officially implement its gender-inclusive housing policy. This means that any student who identifies as LGBT+ is eligible to apply. For more information on the policy and its full wording, please click here.

The form to fill out is available here. If you have any questions or need clarification, please contact Melissa Peters, Assistant Director of Residence Life for Student Leadership and Diversity Initiatives at or by phone at (402)-472-3872. Students may also contact the LGBTQA+ Resource Center at (402)-472-1652 or

All unmarried first year undergraduate students under the age of 19 are required to live in the residence halls for the first year, except when proof of housing with family is available. If you do not plan to live in university-approved housing for your first year and you are under the age of 19, you must fill out the Campus Residency Requirement (PDF) form.

Other Options

Single-room Residence Hall Housing

For students who are unable or do not wish to apply for gender-inclusive housing, there are other options available listed below.

Single rooms are available in the following traditional residence halls:

Pound - Rooms are singles unless a double is requested. Shared gender-specific bathrooms on each floor. Predominantly upper class. Coed building.
Apartment-style Housing

There are two apartment-style residence halls located on City Campus, available only to upper class, graduate and non-traditional (20 yrs or older) students:

The Courtyards - Fully-furnished 4 and 2 bedroom units with full kitchen and living area. Bathrooms are shared with one other resident. 12 and 9 month contracts available. Coed building, but residents living within a 4 or 2 bedroom unit must be of the same legal sex.
The Village - Fully-furnished 4 and 2 bedroom units with full kitchen and living area. Bathrooms are shared with one other resident. 12 and 9 month contracts available. Coed building, but residents living within a 4 or 2 bedroom unit must be of the same legal sex.
Single-room Graduate/Non-traditional Housing

Husker Hall is a coed housing facility located on 23 St. and Vine St. (3 blocks from City Campus), available for graduate and non-traditional (23 yrs or older) students at UNL. All rooms are singles, with shared kitchen facilities available. Free shuttle service to city and east campuses. Only one occupant per room.

Burr - Single rooms located on East Campus, reserved for upper class students, graduate students and students with valid reasons for having single rooms. Shared gender-specific bathrooms on each floor. Shuttle service to city campus. Coed building.
Fedde - Single rooms located on East Campus, reserved for upper class students, graduate students and students with valid reasons for having single rooms. Shared gender-specific bathrooms on each floor. Shuttle service to city campus. Coed building. 12-month and vacation contracts available.
Family Housing

UNL provides apartment-style family housing units to single students with dependent children and legally married couples (with a marriage certificate recognized as legally binding by the State of Nebraska). Recognition of same-sex marriage from other states is outlawed by the Nebraska constitution.

Off-campus Housing

There are many apartments and rental housing available around both City and East Campus. The Association of Students of the Univeristy of Nebraska (ASUN) keeps an up-to-date list of off-campus housing options. Visit the ASUN website for more information and a listing of available housing.

Health Services

Trans-friendly Health Care in Lincoln Please contact

the resource coordinator or call (402) 472-1752 for referrals for trans-friendly health care providers.

University Health Center

TheUniversity Health Center (UHC) staff is committed to providing LGBTQ-friendly health services to students, staff, and faculty. Students get primary medical care clinic visits at NO CHARGE. Other services are at reduced cost for students. The UHC requires that all medical forms have legal sex and name information for insurance purposes. However, you may also choose to identify your preferred name, pronouns, and gender. These will be entered into your medical record so that staff at the UHC can correctly and respectfully address you.

The UHC is located on City Campus, with an East Campus branch in the Nebraska East Union. On City Campus the building is located at 1500 U St, on the intersection of 16 St. and Vine St. Call (402) 472-5000 to schedule an appointment (have your NUID number ready). Or visit the

UHC website for more information.

The UHC also provides confidential

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) at reduced cost to students. Please see the Counseling page for more information.

Trans*-Related Services

The Univeristy Health Center (UHC) provides certain trans*-related health care services. These include:

  • ​Routine acute & preventative health care
    • Office visits for injury or illness
    • Wellness exams, physicals, annual exams, pap smears
    • STI/HIV testing
  • Laboratory services ordered by either UHC or non-UHC providers
  • Mental health services
  • Filling hormone prescriptions
The UHC also refers out other health care services. These include:
  • ​Initiating and monitoring hormone therapy
  • Filing compound hormone prescriptions
  • Surgical care
There are also two gender-neutral restrooms in the UHC. These are located:
  • ​First floor in room 135 (on the way to the specialty waiting area)
  • Second floor across from room 209

Student Health Insurance - StudentBlue

UNL, in partnership with Aetna Student Health and Aetna Dental Group, offers medical and dental insurance to all students. The insurance covers 100% of all University Health Center (UHC) services with a reduced pharmacy plan for medications from the UHC Pharmacy. Graduate students with Graduate Assistantships are automatically enrolled in this program. Please see the

UHC website for premiums and coverage details.

UHC Student Advisory Board


University Health Center Student Advisory Board (UHCSAB) is a group of selected students with the responsibility of representing the student body to the UHC and presenting the health concerns of the university community. The SAB makes recommendations to the UHC staff and the UNL Administration. All SAB meetings are open to the public and are held every other Tuesday in the University Health Center Conference Room C from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. If you would like to see more trans-oriented services offered, we welcome you to attend the meetings and voice your opinion. If you would like to be on the SAB, selections are normally made at the end of the fall semester.


Please review the

UHC Notice of Privacy Practices for details.

Getting Hormones Counseling

In order to get a prescription for hormones, health care providers often require a letter of referral from a qualified and licensed counselor. The University Health Center (UHC) provides

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) at reduced cost to students. For other counseling options, please contact the resource coordinator or call (402) 472-1752 for a list of trans-friendly mental health care providers.

UHC Pharmacy

The University Health Center (UHC) Pharmacy will order hormones for students, staff and faculty with a valid prescription. Prices are comparable to, and usually lower than, community pharmacies.

Lincoln Pharmacies

The Apothecary Shop
262 Neil Ave., #130
Columbus, OH 43215
614-360-2800 phone
614-360-2801 fax
Dave Brandebura, R.Ph.

Mon-Fri 8:30am-5:30pm

Planned Parenthood

Transitional Surgeries

There are surgeons in the Lincoln-Omaha area for almost all transitional surgeries except genital Sex Reassignment Surgery (SRS). Please contact the resource coordinator ((402) 472-1752 or for a list of surgeons offering transitional services.


Trans-friendly Counseling in Lincoln

Please contact

the resource coordinator or call (402) 472-1752 for a list of trans-friendly mental health care providers.

University Health Center Counseling and Psychological Services

The University Health Center's

Counseling and Psycholgical Services (CAPS) provides counseling at reduced rates to students taking seven or more credit hours. CAPS forms have a "Transgender" option for designating gender.

CAPS is located on the second floor of the University Health Center (1500 U St.), with a branch in the Nebraska East Union. Call (402) 472-5000 to schedule an appointment.


All CAPS services are confidential. All records are accessible only to CAPS staff. Records are accessible to other University Health Center medical providers on an as-needed basis only. Information is released only with the written consent of the client, except as required by law.

Student Rates

All students are eligible for CAPS services. Students taking seven or more credit hours qualify for reduced rates. The first three counseling visits are free of charge for all students, and all following visits are based on an hourly rate. There is a charge for all visits with a psychiatrist.

Gender and Sexuality

Dr. Scott Winrow provides counseling surrounding issues of gender, sexuality and transition. Call (402) 472-7450 to schedule an appointment.

Eating Disorders

CAPS provides individual, group and nutritional counseling for issues relating to weight, body image, disordered eating, food preoccupation, exercise obsession and eating disorders. See the

CAPS website for details.

Support And Community

There are various support groups in the Lincoln area, including the following.

The Nebraska Trans* Community meets every second Saturday of the month in either Lincoln or Omaha. All trans* people of all genders may attend. For more information, please see:

PFLAG (Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays) meets every fourth Tuesday of the month and has strong support for trans* people. For more information, please see:

The Parents of Gender-Fluid Kids Group is a support group for parents of gender-nonconforming children (who may or may not be trans*). They meet every second Saturday of the month in Lincoln. For more information, please contact:

Changing Records

This page provides information on options and processes for students wanting to use a preferred name, change names and/or gender, on university forms and records.

To request a preferred name be used, go to 107 Canfield and complete a Preferred Name form. Any student who wants to use a name other than their legal name, the Office of the Registrar will use the form to add your preferred name to PeopleSoft.

The student needs to bring a valid picture ID with them when they go to request the change.

Changing Birth Certificates Issued in Nebraska

For information on changing your birth certificate in other states, please see this guide: Changing Birth Certificate Designations: State-by-State

For those born in Nebraska, the state will issue a new birth certificate reflecting a name and sex change rather than amending an existing one. To change legal sex, a letter from an SRS (Sex Reassignment Surgery) surgeon is required. To change name, an original or certified copy of the court order indicating a name change is required. (Please note that if you are changing your gender marker from female to male, you may be contacted by the Federal government to sign up for selective services. You must submit a copy of your unchanged birth certificate in order to avoid this and being charged with a crime.) Contact the

Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services Office of Vital Records below:

Nebraska Department of Health & Human Services

Division of Public Health
Vital Records
P.O. Box 95065
Lincoln, NE 68509-5065

Changing Driver's Licenses Issued in Nebraska

For the state of Nebraska, the applicant must submit a Certification of Sex Reassignment form completed by a physician. The form states: 'I certify that the above named applicant has undergone the necessary sex reassignment procedures required for social gender recognition and is requesting that a driver license/ID card be issued.

For information on changing your driver's license in other states, please see this guide: Driver's License Policies by State

Transcripts and Registration Records

To change the name or legal sex on university records, bring legal documentation to

Office of the University Registrar, 107 Canfield Administration Building South. Legal documentation can be your (changed) birth certificate, a court order indicating a legal name change, and/or a passport reflecting the changes. Contact Student Services ((402) 472-3635) for up-to-date information on requirements.

Note that people transitioning from female to male (FTM and/or trans men) are required to sign up for selective services after getting their legal gender marker changed on their driver’s license. However, trans men can be exempted from this by presenting their unchanged, original birth certificate.


New NCards reflecting name changes (the NCard does not indicate sex) are available at no cost. New NCards simply reflecting change in appearance (expression/presentation), meaning ones with new pictures, are available from the NCard office for $20. The

NCard Office is located in the first floor of the Nebraska Union.


As of June 10, 2010, sex reassignment surgery is no longer required by the U.S. Department of State to change the gender marker on a U.S. passport or passport card. A letter of certification and support from an attending physician is required, as well as an application for a new passport. Visit the

U.S. Department of State website for more information and to see how to apply. The Lincoln Post Office on 700 R Street has passport applications.


Support Groups

Please check the Support and Community page for local support groups.

UNL Resources

LGBTQA Programs and Services
LGBTQA Programs and Services strives to serve the transgender community on campus. Please contact the resource coordinator or call (402) 472-1752 for more information.

SpectrumUNL is open to all UNL students. The office is located in the Nebraska Union, room 234. The office is staffed by student volunteers; provides a safe, informal gathering space. Meetings are held during the academic year. Email or visit the web site:

Meets every Thursday at 6:00 p.m. in the Nebraska Union, room posted.

UNL Committee on GLBT Concerns

Consisting of LGBTQA students, faculty, and staff striving to create a campus environment supportive of LGBTQ people. We support the UNL non-discrimination policy and work to make it a reality; meeting monthly throughout the academic year. For more information contact

Greg Nosan or call at 402-472-2461.

Tips on Being a Transgender Ally

  • Respect a person’s right to keep their orientation and identity private unless they have given you explicit permission to tell others.
  • Know your own biases and work to correct them. Will anything prevent you from treating a trans* person the way you treat anyone else? Why?
  • If you’re comfortable, correct a person if they are saying or doing something transphobic. You never know who may be hurt by that person’s statements or actions.
  • Be patient with a person who is questioning their gender identity. This may involve some experimentation on their part, including dressing a different way or being referred to by different names and pronouns.
  • Be an advocate for trans* equality and accessibility. This can involve petitioning for gender-neutral restrooms, calling legislators to express your support or disapproval of bills that can affect trans* people, or knowing resources that others can refer to if they need help.
  • Be open to learning about the various issues that affect trans* people. This can help you be a better ally and advocate.
  • Mistakes happen! If you accidentally call a trans* person by the wrong name or pronouns, or make an incorrect assumption about LGBTQA+ topics, apologize and either correct yourself or ask if you can learn more.
  • Create a visibly welcoming environment for trans* people. For instance, you may want to put a Safe Space or Ally card on your door or window. When introducing yourself, mention the pronouns that you use -- this makes it clear to trans* people that they can also be open about their pronouns.
  • There are transgender people who cannot or do not wish to medically transition. It is impolite to ask or make assumptions about why a person does or doesn’t transition, and it is disrespectful to disregard their gender identity because they aren’t medically transitioning.
  • One trans* person’s ideas may be extremely different from another’s, and some may even take offense at certain ideas about what it “means” to be trans*. No one trans* person is the authority on what being transgender is like or involves, since everyone’s experiences are completely unique.
  • “Transsexual” is generally considered an outdated term, but there are some trans* poeple who identify with the word.
  • Listen to trans* people when they’re talking about their experiences to see what you can do to be accepting and supportive. Consider reading books by trans* people, looking through their blogs/websites, and further educating yourself.