The Women's Center is located on the third floor of the Nebraska Union, room 340. There you will find a resource library, a meeting room for discussion groups, a lounge area for conversations, studying, or just relaxing, and the working spaces of the Gender Programs’ staff. Women’s Center hours are Monday through Thursday, 10am to 6pm, and Friday 10am to 5pm. Any time the Nebraska Union is open you can read the bulletin boards and peruse the pamphlet racks in the hall outside the Women's Center. We look forward to helping you get the most out of your UNL experience.
Want to change the world? Meet people who share your interests? Earn volunteer hours in classes that require community involvement? Become a Gender Programs volunteer and see how you can make a difference on campus. Learn how to put your skills to use or work on fine tuning the skills you want to strengthen! What kinds of things do Gender Programs volunteers do?
- Help maintain our library and help people browse and check out the resources.
- Become a part of a team that learns to facilitate activities and do presentations about relationships, body image, violence prevention, and other gender-related issues.
- Create interesting bulletin board displays to educate people about important gender issues and upcoming events.
- Help the Gender Programs staff plan big events like the UNL Week Without Violence (October) and Women’s Week (in March, before Spring Break).
Want to learn more about volunteer opportunities at the Women’s Center?
- Stop by the Women’s Center (340 Nebraska Union) whenever it is convenient and grab an application to return later, or fill out the application right then. If you have time you can meet some of the staff and get a brief orientation of the Women’s Center and Gender Programs.
- OR download the volunteer application HERE, and print it out and bring it by the Women’s Center, or email it as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You can also call the Women’s Center (402-472-2597) or email email@example.com with any questions.
The Women’s Center Resource Library has over 4500 books, DVDs, VHSs, posters, and magazines. Our books and videos range in topic from literature, sociology, psychology, history, law and politics, and all sorts of other topics. All resources analyze or address issues of gender and sexuality, or the intersections of race, gender, class, and sexuality. We also have recommended reading lists for many Women’s and Gender Studies classes.
For a section-by-section overview of our library, see the Women's Center Library of Congress Subject Guide.
Women’s Center resources are listed in UNL’s library catalog (online at http://iris.unl.edu/) and are checked out using your NCard. Books can be checked out for two weeks and DVDs and VHSs for two days. If you aren’t finished with the resources by then, you can re-check them! Also, if you would like to watch a VHS or a DVD and you don’t have a VCR or DVD player, we have one and you can watch it in our office (just speak with a staff member to reserve our meeting room).
We also have special resources for Resident Assistants and Sorority/Fraternity Education Chairs: email the Resource Assistant, Leslie, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call and leave a message at (402) 472-2597 ext. 3 to see how she can assist you!